RAISING AWARENESS THROUGH EDUCATION
PROMOTING PREVENTION & EARLY DETECTION CAMPAIGNING FOR CHANGE
SKCIN: THE KAREN CLIFFORD SKIN CANCER CHARITY / REGISTERED CHARITY: 1150048
WE NEED YOUR HELP! PLEASE HELP US TO STOP SKIN CANCER TAKING MORE LIVES. WE ARE HUGELY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Skin Cancer The Problem And FactsSkin Cancer Information
RATES OF SKIN CANCER
ARE RISING FASTER THAN
ANY OTHER CANCER
and it is now one of the biggest cancer
killers in the 15-34 age group!
Skin cancer is the UK’s most common and fastest rising cancer.
It is now one of the biggest cancer killers in 15-34 year olds.
Solar Ultra Violet Radiation (UVR) is a known carcinogen.
It cannot be seen or felt and is the primary cause of skin cancer
Sunburn is a reaction to UV radiation and is a clear sign that
you have seriously damaged your skin.
Sunbeds are not safe - FACT! UV radiation from sunbeds can
cause serious and irreparable damage and cause melanoma
Worried about Vitamin D? Know the facts and how much sun
we need to produce the required daily levels.
Our skin is our body’s largest organ that performs a variety of
vital functions - learn how UVR affects and damages our skin
All skin types can be damaged by UVR, but some skin types
and family history of skin cancer can mean you are more at risk
Skin Cancer - The Problem.
Rates of skin cancer are increasing faster than any other cancer in the UK, with figures doubling every 10-20 years. More than 12,000 cases of Melanoma, the deadliest form of the disease are diagnosed every year in the UK and over 2,000 will die from the disease this year alone!
Skin Cancer - The Facts:
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the UK.
- More people die from skin cancer in the UK than in Australia.
- Melanoma, the most deadly skin cancer, is now one of the most common cancers in young adults aged 15-34 in the UK.
- Over the last twenty-five years, rates of Melanoma in Britain have risen faster than any other common cancer.
- Over 80% of all skin cancers are caused by over-exposure to the sun and/or sun beds
- 7 people currently die each day as a result of skin cancer in the UK!
- Approximately 12,800 (35 people per day) were diagnosed with malignant melanoma in
2010 in the UK.
- Malignant melanoma is almost twice as common in young women (up to age 34) as in young men, but more men die from it.
- Worldwide, an estimated 200,000 people were diagnosed with malignant melanoma in 2008.
- Over 99,500 cases of non-melanoma skin cancer were registered in 2010 in the UK.
- Like most cancers, skin cancer is more common with increasing age, but malignant melanoma is disproportionately high in younger people. More than one-third of all cases of malignant melanoma occur in people aged under 55.
Remember - the most important fact!
Over 80% of all skin cancers are caused by over-exposure to UV radiation from the sun and/or sunbeds - that means that the majority of all skin cancers are preventable by undertaking simple sun safety measures. Make sure you follow the Five S's of sun safety!
Sunbeds can cause Melanoma
Find out the facts about indoor tanning.
The following related topics may be of interest, please click on the tabs to learn more.UVR The FactsSun Safety TipsEarly DetectionGet Involved
know in one handy little book
the golden rules of sun safety
what you should be looking for...
Articles of interest
National skin cancer charity, SKCIN are delighted to announce an exclusive partnership with University College Bir...
20th Jan 2021 4:49pm
Congratulations to Amie Wallace for completing the MASCED Accreditation!“This has made me feel more comfortable wh...
14th Jan 2021 7:16pm
Congratulations to Charmaine Chudley for completing the MASCED Accreditation!“Very interesting and useful course. ...
4th Jan 2021 9:46am
Congratulations to maxine OToole for completing the MASCED Accreditation!“I really enjoyed this programme, workin...
8th Dec 2020 9:28am
Skcin are proud to announce we have been invited to sit on the City & Guilds IAB (Industry Advisory Board).The IAB h...
17th Sep 2020 10:58am